We’ve just released 1.55 to production which pushes a lot of dongle handling improvements already tested in beta1 and beta2, kinks out a few annoying crashes and bugs and adds or improves a few features.

We also did a lot of under-the-hood work to use the latest dependencies and improve readability and test-ability.

Finally a big thank you to GitHub user “landswellsong” for updating the Ukrainian and Russian translations.

ISOTP is a protocol to transfer messages larger than the maximum CANbus frame size of 8 bytes. While it’s purpose is only this, it is usually associated with diagnostic, request-reply type of traffic, as opposed to the broadcast “free frames” type of chatter.

When we started with CanZE we had more information about the free frames and while it is a real pain the xxx to implement and requires commands not available in cheap clone dongles, we also prefered it as it did not require us to inject any traffic whatsoever on the car’s CANbus.

Things have significantly changed since. Using diagnostic commands exclusively has a couple of advantages

  • it’s a given on the Ph2 vehicles. No way to get to it’s free frames;
  • it’s commands are fairly well documented from more or less public sources;
  • some data is simply not available on free frames;
  • more dongles will work without using free frames.

So, the setting for ISOTP are as follows, though they may seem a bit counter intuitive.

  • For the Ph2 cars, it has no meaning. We should probably disable it.
  • For Ph1 cars, if using a CanSee dongle, we nudge ISOTP off, as it’s the fastest option and works fine. If using a commercial dongle, we nudge it on.
  • Nudging means: it will save as set, but every time you open the settings, it will switch it again to the preferred option.

All in all, we might decide to get rid of the entire option as it’s confusing. If there are strong opinions either way, let us know.

As expected, many, mostly small issues emerged after 1.54 release. Over 30 commits have been made since. We just uploaded 1.55beta1 in the open beta track. The most important changes are:

  • A fix for getting DTCs for pre ZE50 cars
  • CCS charging for the ZE50!!
  • An Android compliant and much improved settings screen
  • Several KONNWEI optimizations
  • Many small fixes, including the pilot current for newer firmware in pre-ZE50 cars
  • Increased font size in graphs

As you can see, we’re not forgetting about the pre-ZE50 car drivers.

We’re very excited and would love to push this to the production track as soon as possible, so give it a spin.

After the release of 1.54 the team is already churning on a couple of things that will be released soon on the beta channel, such as

  • a completely overhauled settings screen “Android style”
  • fairly significant performance increase for the ELM dongles
  • DC charging information!

And of course a few minor issues tackled. Keep reporting issues on GitHub please, it’s the safest way to get our attention, and for you to get feedback.

It’s past midnight as I write this. After a few evenings virtual-team-testing and virtual-team-debugging mostly dormant ELM issues that sprang to life while working on ZE50 support, we now have a limited, though “official” production release with ZE50 support.

Please report issues to GitHub as usual, while our virtual team will sink away in virtual booze đŸ˜‰

As a side project of CanZE “ZE50-ing”, team member Leopold Baillard took his CanSee dongle to get input from his ZOE, and fed it into Super Tux Cart, displayed on his garage wall with a laser based pico projector. I laughed so hard!

Please do forgive the dark, shaky and moirĂ© patterned video as well as the wall crashes. Not easy to steer and use your phone at the same time filming. Oh, but that’s what the police says eh?

On the German forum a shared google spreadsheet is being community-maintained listing ECU software versions. Cool way to notice if something has changed. Since CanZE beta can also pick up on the versions in the ZE50, tabs for those models have been added. While the column titles are in German, I would urge everyone with a ZE50 and in the CanZE beta track to add to it. We even added a “query all to CSV file” button in the Firmware screen so it should be fairly easy.

Links:

Pushing ourselves alsong, we’re far from done but will release in the production channel soon, even if far from all fields working for the ZE50.

Unfortunately, things area bit bumpy wen using the already slow KONNWEI 902 dongle. As we need to keep the gateway open, we hardly see three functional requests per second coming through. We might be able to optimize that further in a later stage, but success is not a given there, and it’s irritating. So if you are an electronics tinkerer, building a cansee dongle is more advised than ever. If not, we’re also investigating if we can finally make a jump to a branded, better, cheap, more potent dongle, possibly even on BLE. This will take time of course.

For those of you on the beta channel, you must have noticed the insane update speed. Things have been progressing at such a rate, it was useless to add blog entries. All ECU’s have now been added and you can play around with the firmware and alldata screens. Many regular fields have already been “ZE50-ified”, but there are still a lot to do. And there are a bunch that are simply not there anymore, so we might have to downscale a few things in CanZE for the ZE50, yet upscale others. Stay tuned, and if you are on the beta and running a ZE50, do contact the team on github to share! https://github.com/fesch/CanZE/issues

Thank you for your patience, and a very well deserved thank you to the new, relentlessly hard working new team members.

Late PS: if you are running a cansee dongle, you need to update it again. There was another bug found & fixed.