By suggestion on the GitHub issue tracker by user dbwarrior1975, we added a simple but IMHO neat feature on the Voltage Heatmap screen. If a cell is being balanced the voltage is shown underlined. This is much more intuitive than the hex values on the Tech Charging screen.

However there is no clear known mapping between the bits in the balancing information and the cell numbers. Some help here would be appreciated. The indications may be horizontally or vertically mirrored, or possibly worse. Any feedback is appreciated. I expect the highest voltage (more red) cells to be balanced more.

As mentioned a few times, the last few month lots of effort has gone into quality instead of features. And it has payed off. ANRs (App not responsive) and crashes levels are at or better than the average app. It seems dongle crashes have gone down too. Given the massive diversity in devices (dongles and phones/tablets), we consider this a great improvement, though admittedly you, the individual user, probably hardly noticed. A non-crash is and should be indeed a non-event.

This process isn’t finished. First of all it is something that we continuously monitor, especially after new features or fixes. Secondly and as announced earlier, we are in the process of sunsetting unmaintained languages as well as Fluence/Kangoo support to further cleanup code.

With this major effort behind us, this slowly gives space for functional development again. At this moment there are three issues that need our attention:

  • Resetting DTCs doesn’t work anymore (this seems to be a regression);
  • Setting TPMS IDs seems either buggy or not working at all (see next paragraph);
  • We need to make a version where all data is retrieved through ISO-TP commands. This requires lots of research but will enhance speed and stability on ELM type dongles a lot. For CanSee dongles, free frames are actually faster, so we try to use them as much as possible there.

Now features like TPMS are hard to implement and maintain. Being early adopters we don’t own cars with TPMS. It’s a bit hit and miss and politely asking for access to other people’s cars. And that issue is bound to get a lot worse soon: the new ZOE (nicknamed Gen 2) will be released in a few month. It will feature CCS, have a somewhat larger battery and I expect it will feature the same motor as the R110. Especially CCS will have significant impact on what we do with CanZE, notably of course in the charger sections.

Edit. A friendly dealer in the UK has tried CanZE on a brand new ZE50 model. No response whatsoever. QED

We have no access to Renault’s designs, nor the Clip tool, nor a car to play with. Speaking for myself, I have no intention of buying a Gen 2 anytime soon. My 2013 Q210, which has done over 100.000 km now is trotting along quite nicely, showing 97% battery SOH (!!) and I sincerely hope it will for at least another 5.5 years.

We’ll have to see how we can keep up. With almost 5000 CanZE users on the current models, there is no reason for any immediate measures.

We’ve had quite a few remarks and questions about the modified firmware screen. Please note you now need to tap an ECU line to display it’s version information. We now display 4 fields that are all required to find the proper definitions of what these computers can and cannot do. Also, note that the reference numbers are gone. There are simply too many hardware permutations and we have no reliable source about what is the latest for what version of what hardware.

A lot of debugging has been going on the Battery Charging Prediction. Next to the usual bug fixes, the number of minutes between each line is now dependent on the charging power of the chargepoint (i.e. 45 minutes per line for 3.7 kW, down to 6 minutes for 43 kW). Also, a column is added showing the expected real power intake, so you can not only made an educated guess about when you will have charged up to the range you need, but also when the battery starts throttling the charging power.

In the source code It has already moved from the experimental section to the technical section and we expect this to make the next release. We’d be very interested in your feedback. Please not that while the module might work for a Fluence or Kangoo Z.E., the predictions will probably be way off. We’ve only tested this on a Q210 so far.